Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Prayer, Penance, Almsgiving

Ash Wednesday 2013
Yep!  we did the salt dough.  We like this crafty and tactile way of beginning our lenten journey.  The products of our hands are crosses, a crown of thorns and a praying cowgirl.  These will serve as visible reminders of our invisible intentions.  Why invisible?  My girls are old enough to make secret sacrifices.      We do talk and make a plan and hope and pray we serve God better and keep our promises.  It can be tough for us all.  For me, Lent serves to remind me that I am NOT in charge.  My list is not typically in line with God's list for me.  So I think of Steven Curtis Chapman's song...."whatever".  It is perfect for Lent.  He talks about his list and God's list and finally says...."whatever you say, I will obey, because, You are my God....whatever".  Find this song.  Your going to love it and so will your kids.  It is upbeat with a great message.

Let the squish begin...
Rolling with a pencil......keep in mind our house is for sale and we will be moving in less than three weeks.
















OH YES!  Then there was Patrick....WHATEVER!




We also made our Lent Journals!  Secret books for keeping track of ourselves and how we are measuring up.  I have been journaling for years.  My journal is more like my letters to God and Mary.  Very private and something I treasure.
This year thanks to my dear friend Donna we had some lovely blessed stickers to add to our covers.
I pray that your Lenten Journey is filled with Grace.  Open your hearts to receive the message God has for you"WHATEVER".  Try to make confession weekly if at all possible.  Offer your sacrifices, don't hold on to them,  simply in your heart offer them to God for someone.  Try each days to recognize your humanity and areas where you loose graces.   Try journaling.  On the right page I write my letter to God.  At the top I always write J.M.J. and on the left page I write my intentions for the day.  I like to write the names of the people and souls for who I am praying and that all children will know love.










1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! You are so organized and creative...even in the middle of packing.
    Have a Blessed day
    lisa

    ReplyDelete