Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicks finally hatch

I was about to give up on these ever hatching. She was settin on so many eggs (about 13) not all her own. I could not be sure if the girls had not taken eggs or added eggs so I just waited it out. I am also not sure what day she actually started settin. She had them hidden under her wings. I could not see them but I could hear them. She still has several unhatched eggs. This morning there were three hatched. A few hours later another emerged. So, I'll let her set on the rest for a day or two then take the unhatched eggs before they explode. Yes! explode, that is what they will do...or so I have read.




This is an Araucana hen. She is a very good mother and has let us handle the baby chicks with trust.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how precious! I bet the children were so HAPPY! I am so happy you shared the pictures too. Thats one thing I wish we had was eggs that hatched when we ahd our chickens :)

    ReplyDelete