Friday, March 9, 2012

Saint Dominic Savio


I love to think about how this young boy lived his life.
Some would call it simple, I'm not so sure.
I find it hard to live every moment for God in this world full of distraction, noise and constant motion. I try, although I'm sure I could try harder. Every moment is new. So perhaps if I try minute my minute.
So many holy persons seem to die young. Among them was Dominic Savio, the patron of choirboys.
All his desires were to be the saint God called him to be. I wish I could have this constant vision in my daily life.

Dominic was one of ten children. He was born in Turin, Italy. When he was 12 years old Dominic joined St. John Bosco as a student at the Oratory. Boso was impressed by John and his desire to be a priest and to help him in his work with neglected boys. A peacemaker and an organizer, young Dominic founded a group he called the Company of the Immaculate Conception which, besides being devotional, aided John Bosco with the boys and with manual work. Dominic died shortly before the Salesian Order was form.

Dominic spent hours rapt in prayer, which he called distractions. Even in play, he said that at times "It seems heaven is opening just above me. I am afraid I may say or do something that will make the other boys laugh." Dominic would say, "I can't do big things. But I want all I do, even the smallest thing, to be for the greater glory of God."

Dominic's health, always frail, led to lung problems. The doctors at that time would bleed patients, hoping the bad blood would be removed and good blood would be replace it. This practice actually made it harder for Dominic to recover. He died on March 9, 1857, after receiving the Last Sacraments.

His young life of service to the neglected boys at the Oratory would open the door to his greatest desire. To be a saint. St. Pius X opened the cause for sainthood and Dominic was canonized in 1954.

Saint Dominic Savio pray for our children to imitate your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment